Sunday, June 10, 2007

Up a creek without a camera.

He saved a million men starving from their lack of bread and ripped their souls from the tempters hands by taking lashes from lesser men striving for a heavier purse.

----

That was the start of a post i planned to finish a week ago. I never got around to it. However, I liked the sentence, and feel that it should stay... so I hope you enjoy.


So a good bit has happened.

-I've graduated from high school and my sights are set on LU, which I'm not entirely stoked about.
-I'm putting every ounce of my graduation money towards a Canon EOS 400D Digital Rebel XTi, 28-135mm and 70-300mm lenses, and a tripod. Unfortunately for me, my graduation money combined is worth not even half of what I need... so most of the summer will be working towards it.






Now, I kinda find this selfish. Despite the fact that the camera will probably be used more for others than myself, it's and incredibly hefty dent in my wallet. Even more so, that's a lot of money going towards me. Me has a heck of a lot of things. Me doesn't exactly NEED this camera, but wants it very, very, very badly.

I have this very bold and audacious (I don't know if that's a word, but I'm running with it,) idea of taking pictures of life and working them into stories in this blog and really giving people something to learn and experience. And I feel with such an able camera, and with all of the research I've done, I can achieve that.

Thanks to the wise words of Steve last Sunday, I prayed about this purchase. I'm kinda waiting for something to pop up and be all like "STEPHEN, PUT ALL OF THAT MONEY TO SAVE THE CHILDREN IN AFRICA!" And I actually expect an answer much like that one, but so far, haven't received it. I've even gone to the limit of finding what I could to to serve with this thing. Cause I mean, at the end of it all, it is a thing. That's it. But my desire for this thing has driven my to put most of my money into it.


Is this bad?




















I'm trying desperately to make this a good thing.










I mean, perhaps the beginning sentence does in fact relate to all of this.

1 think:

Lucy Doughty said...

don't go and read my "Save Darfur" post. work hard, save up, and buy that camera. no matter how tempting it is to save helpless people from genocide.

KIDDING. okay. while praying about it will help with a solution, you may find that investing in your God-given talents is glorifying. (to God.) maybe the Africa answer never will arrive.

you worked hard for the diploma, for the money, for the development of your ability to photograph and inspire.

this seems to me a worthwhile investment. perhaps not selfless, but not selfish.

The Lord rewards every man for his righteousness and faithfulness....with a camera!

keep praying. it's good to see you back.
and i like that sentence.