Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Alluding to Lucy

After reading Lucy's most recent post, (which I would suggest anyone) I got to thinking about this entire concept of aging.

Our age proves nothing. I know a girl in particular that is at least four years younger than I, yet her scope on this whole "life" ordeal seriously leaves me in awe. Sitting and having a conversation with her has made me envy her wisdom. Her thoughts much more profound, much more original, much more real than anything I can compose.

I also know an adult who goes through life looking over his shoulder. Everyone is against him, and it's him against the world. No matter the cost, he'll keep himself and his son safe from this cold place. His son however, fears nothing. Not in a rebellious or and audacious sense, but in confidence in his will, self-preservation, and trust in God.
Which is more mature? That battle could perdure with no answer.


I feel like age can't be determined by a number, but by experiences. Determined by the people you've met and the stories you've heard. Determined by the scars you have and the people you've healed... An ancient man can have lived in the same place his entire life, but the young travelling musician will have a circumspection the old man could never understand.


It makes me wonder how old, in the sense of exposure to life, I will live to be.

All I know is that I will refuse to live in a cage that will prevent me from taking life in; having the scars to provide wisdom to those who are ready to hear it.

I want to be the old man who has a story for every situation, and advice for every downfall. I intend to have trouble walking because of all the places my feet have taken me, and trouble seeing because of the sunsets and sunrises I've seen.

I think then, maybe, I will be content.

3 think:

Lucy Doughty said...

while i appreciate the credit, you should take it all.
what you were able to put into words is the exact thought i struggled with. kudos.

the last part is beautiful. well said. i have no doubt that is who you'll (happily) become.

Anonymous said...

Wisdom is a daily development. It's not all according to the timing of our age. It's how much work and effort we put into ourselves until we find who we truely are. And when that is found, then you are able to live at no age.

Anonymous said...

I've had the privilege of knowing you for the last two years of our lives; and I can say with full confidence that you, my friend, are well on your way to becoming exactly the person you aspire to be.
I like this new blog by the way.

Brittany.