Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Wednesday Morning Coffee and Fries.



I'm sitting at starlight cafe doing homework, which I find pretty ironic... skipping school to do homework; but it's pretty typical for me.

I was working on my soundplot for tech theatre, which is already two days late, and the lady ordering her drink at the counter passed out and fell to the floor. She seizured, but only for four seconds, (for some reason, i counted time.)

Everyone leaped up to help. Some called 911, some got her pillows, some just surrounded her and asked if she was okay... it had to be incredibly overwhelming, so I thought it would be best to stay out of the way. I have this thing about people watching. It's completely unintentional, but I like it, so I see no reason to stop. I saw the baristas flipping out because they didn't know how to handle the situation, an English teacher continuing to correcting papers, trying to pretend nothing was happening, and a little girl. The little girl was smiling.

Not at the lady of course, but at her mother, who had fled from her table to help the woman. Her mother was fitting a pillow beneath the woman's head when the little girl looked at me, looked at her mother, then back at me... with subtext of "That's my mom." I smiled and nodded. She was then instructed to go to the back and find a damp washcloth to put over the fallen woman's forehead.

She immediately obeyed.



Proud of her parent who, she believed, had saved this woman's life.

Once the ambulance came and left, and I knew everything was okay, I got to thinking on my heroes. I realized my heroes were either dead, intangible, or no longer worthy of being my hero.

Ralph Waldo Emerson one said "At last every hero becomes a bore." Some day, the mother of that girl will no longer be a hero. She will no longer be invincible. She will be a mortal mother "who just doesn't understand."
She will grow to find new heroes, idolize other people that are much more extravagant than her mother.

I realized that a child's perception of any human hero holds the characteristics of God. I was told once that people will only let you down. Friends are amazing, and they can be the most ideal companion, but in some way shape or form, they can't live up to what you'd like.

I've realized I don't have heroes. I look up to certain people, but I keep their flaws and imperfections in the back of my mind, dulling the effect of their awesomeness.

I've raised my expectations for my heroes... so much so that I think only one will ever be considered mine.

He can't let me down.

4 think:

Lucy Doughty said...

ahhh why do you keep defining my thoughts better than i can? day after day.

the reality that daily interactions with former heroes will always pale in comparison to the one with whom interactions are sought after and life-changing is a sad one. we are, in essence, trapped here with our fellow humans and the the aptness to realize their flaws.

what if we never could? what if every monumental person remained monumental for the rest of our years? well then. this life thing would change completely.

perhaps not for the better...the ability to see through people makes us stronger..sometimes..

oh i don't know. i apologize for leaving a comment as long as a post.

Lucy Doughty said...

i have a thing about people watching too

Lucy Doughty said...

"yearn" actually was the song. that's pretty cool. i bought it.

Jeff's Blog said...

I don't know you but came upon your blog looking for the openning times for the Starlight Cafe. The SC is the best place to people watch. I don't think there is a more diverse place in all of Lynchburg.

A mentor of mine once told me to be careful about heros and to be sure that the ones you have are dead as they can't do anything to "disappoint" you. Maybe some truth there....

Blessings....